Baby shower checklist
Preparing for a baby shower? Getting ready to shower mom-to-be with gifts? Then look no further! Here are lists for you to minimize your planning time and help focus on what is important. Plus, we have some shower ideas, as well as fun baby shower games..good luck!
8 Weeks before the party
- Determine who is the host of the baby shower
- Make a budget- some things can be made by hand if it is a tight budget like favours or table decorations
- Select location- home or outside venue?
- Set a date-preferably at the weekend and consider time of day and length of party
- Create a guest list-talk to mom-to-be about who she would like to come
4-6 Weeks before the party
- Select the party theme-unisex or boy/girl? Or maybe something to match the nursery room?
- Choose the invitations
- Plan the menu-add vegatarian options
- Think about entertainment-music and games
- Send invitations by email or post
- Order any baby gift baskets or ready made fun baby shower games props
2-3 Weeks before the party
- Finalize the menu and prepare the shopping list and order the cake
- Order any party decorations-Balloons, table centre pieces, diaper cake, banners and any food buffet decoration/labels
- Order tableware that matches theme like napkins, cups, table cloth, plates and cutlery etc
- Plan and order baby favors
- Finalize the entertainment
1 Week before the party
- Finalize how many guests are coming
- Confirm any orders including food, cake and decorations
- Plan room arrangement and seating
- Make any D.I.Y party decorations or baby shower favors
1 Day before the party
- Check that the place for the party is nice and clean
- Decorate! Include tables, walls and doorways
- Prepare party food that can keep fresh till the party
- Charge all electrical items like phones and cameras
- Make sure any party helpers know what the schedule is and any game props are ready
Baby shower preperation
The first thing to remember is the mother-to-be is in an emotional state and is in need of all the help she can get. She will need to relax, get pampered and spoiled. Send her to a spa for a weekend before the baby shower. It will help her relax and build energy ready for the birth. While she is away, arrange a deep clean for her house. This will be the best gift for her and will be very much appreciated. Her mind will be full of to do lists and last minute preperations. The last thing she needs is to prepare her own baby shower full of stress and worry about the day so close to her expecting date. All she will need to think about is her outfit for the baby shower. Here are some ideas for the mother-to-be…
Three gorgeous looks perfect for mom-to-be. Comfortable and are easy to wear. If the mother is uncomfortable showing her bump she can add a cardigan. Accessorize with neck scarves, necklaces, bangle bracelets and belts for underneath the belly. These looks can be changed to how the mother wants to look on the day. Comfortable-casual or chic-smart.
Don’t know what theme to choose for the baby shower? Why not go with the same theme used in the nursery? Or perhaps the parent’s to be will want the gender to be a surprise? Here are some themed shower ideas:
For a boy:
- hot air balloon/plane “Baby boy flying into our lives”- “The baby has landed”
- sailor/boat “All aboard the captain’s ship!!!” (Smash a champagne bottle to anounce the baby boy’s name.)
- teddy bear “We can’t wait to bear hug our little baby boy”
- trains “choo choo…Baby boy entering platform No:1 first class”
- jungle “Our baby boy will be swinging in our arms very soon”
- Frog “hop in”
For a girl:
- ballet “we will be dancing together very soon”
- flowers “she will be blooming marvellous”
- fairies “if you believe hard enough…you will see them at the bottom of your garden” “I do believe in fairies”
- princess “Once upon a time…”
- Moon and stars “Twinkle twinkle little star…how we wonder what you are?” “Love you to the moon and back”
- Rainbow “Red and yellow and pink and green. Orange and purple and blue. I can sing a rainbow and the rainbow is you” “Pink or blue, which one are you?”
- Umbrella “Shower Mom-to-be with gifts”
- Candy floss-pink and blue
- Grey theme-chevron designed decoration
- Baby lambs-white theme-baby grows hung up on a washing line with a backdrop of a meadow with spring lambs,chicks, flowers, trees
- Have a mixed colour party: blue, pink and yellow-then when cutting the cake, the guests will see what gender the baby is inside the cake
- Bee theme “Mummy to bee“
- Pop corn “Ready to pop”
- Yellow and grey chevron theme- Grey shower clouds & Yellow Sunshine “You are my sunshine, my only sunshine, you make me happy when skies are grey”
- Owl “twit too wOOoo-we love you” “Let’s fill their nest with gifts”
- Rubber duck “Rub a dub dub a new baby to love”
- Sugar and spice and all things nice
- woodland/forest. Deers
- Story book. All guests must bring their favourite childhood book as a gift for the baby and read all or part of the book during the baby shower party. Photocopied book pages can be cut out and used as confetti or garlands around the room for a DIY idea
Fun baby shower games
There are many baby shower games out there like paint the mother’s belly or guess the baby’s name etc but here we have some fun baby shower games which will make the party even more memorable…
- Make baby ice cubes and every guest puts one ice cube in their drink and the first ice cube that melts is the person who shouts “My water has broken” and they recieve a prize.
- Another game is to name that poo in the diaper (nappy). Brown chocolate is melted and put inside the diapers and left open out on the table for guests to taste and guess the chocolate flavor. At first the diapers on the table looks like poo and seems like a crazy idea. But once the guests start to taste and realize it is just chocolate they start laughing and the photos look like guests are eating poo!!!
- If the daddy-to-be is attending the party with some of the male friends, then a good game is to blind fold them and get them to change a toy baby’s diaper. The toy should be wearing a body with a t-shirt or something easy to take off and a diaper. First show them what to do, then blind fold their eyes and either give them a time limit and see the results, or the winner will be the first to change the diaper. The winner will hopefully be the daddy-to-be:) The winner gets a prize.
- Another fun game is to get guests to guess the size of the mother’s belly using string. The closest guess wins a prize.
- During the shower, guests can write notes for the mother, daddy and baby and place them in envelopes for when the baby grows, they can open one each day. The notes are full of wishes and tips for the new family and will give motivation on tiring days.
- Baby food tasting game is also another fun game. Baby food jars are opened and everyone gets one chance to taste and guess the flavor.
- A creative weird game is to give out a cupcake or muffin paper case to each guest with a handful of playdough in different colours. The guests make a baby and put them into the cases for a photo for mummy and daddy to be. The babies can be air dried and kept as keepsakes in a box. When the baby grows up, they can play with the baby figures.