How to make your valentine feel you have their heart in your hands when presenting your gift. We have gift ideas for him, for her and ideas on how to include children in the celebration of love on Valentine’s Day. Read on to see how to create romantic settings using different budgets and more…
The Real meaning of Valentine’s Day
I don’t believe it when people say they don’t care about Valentine’s day and how it’s all commercial and a waste of money…it all depends on HOW to celebrate this special day with someone you love. It doesn’t mean it has to be an expensive gift for someone you care for. You might just make some popcorn and stay in all cosy drinking hot cocoa with marshmellows putting your feet up to watch a romantic film together…or you might cut out all the letters of L-O-V-E from an old newspaper and use it as confetti on the dinner table for two…there are so many ways to show you love someone.
It’s all about expressing your feelings
There was once a priest called Valentine who secretly married couples when it was made illegal at the time, but he was found out and sent to prison. Whilst in prison, he fell in love with a woman who was blind. He cured her blindness then fell in love with her and sent her many love letters. Before he was sent to be executed, he wrote a final farewell love letter to his love with the ending: ‘Love from your valentine‘ People say February the 14th was the day he died. To this day people all over the world celebrate this day on different dates and in different ways. It’s about giving a token of your love, be it a card, a hug, or something more. Not only couples celebrate this day, now friends, children and other members of the family do too. Nowadays, many feel it has become too commercial, however knowing the story behind this makes me feel the need to celebrate. Be it that day or another. It is the thought that counts!!!
Top 5 gift ideas for him
There are so many cool gifts out there, but here are our favourites for your husband, boyfriend, lover, partner, friend or son…
- Magic sand. He will spend hours playing with this sand. You don’t have to mix this sand with water to be able to scult it into shapes. Plus it is easy to clean up as it sticks to itself. It feels like normal sand, looks like normal sand but it’s full of magical fun. Any guy would love to get his hands into this. If you want to give this gift romantically, then lay a trail of red rose petals leading towards this sand put out on the floor in a heart shape…with a little photo of your last romantic holiday together or a little note saying something special between you like: “I give you my heart with all of me for all of you, will you be my valentine?”
- Cooling Whiskey Stones. Even if the man doesn’t drink alot of whiskey, he would still like to feel like James Bond for a moment in his life and have these on display for all to see. They cool whiskey and other drinks down instead of diluting them like ice cubes do and they look fabulous. Very sophisticated and manly. There are many forms and types of meterials used, depending on how he will use them. Some come in a fabric pouch, some in a presentable wooden box which can also be personalised.
- Pet Jellyfish. This has the WOW factor with just the thought of it. Any man would be amazed by this gift. They wouldn’t believe their eyes. They can watch this little jellyfish all day long and when it’s dark they can see the lights change colours too. This is more entertaining than any other fish tank.
- Silver Mountain perfume. Most guys will adore you even thinking of getting him a perfume. When choosing, try to choose something manly, rather than something YOU’D like. Ask the opinions of the sales personel and tell them what type of smells he’s used to. Does he go for a fresh aqua tone, or a spicy tone? Or an earthy/pine scent? Choosing this CREED scent is ideal as even the bottle suggests winter tones and accents, smooth flow between the initial smell to the middle, then last tone. Usually something that isn’t his usual tone is risky, but exciting for him. Maybe ask him for clues before deciding on the scent. Ask him where he would rather go on holiday, a carribean place or more of a nature walk kinda guy? Tell the personel exactly what type of guy he is and they should be able to guide you in the right direction.
- A chalkboard with a love lock. This chalkboard says ‘I love you because…’ and the couple need to fill in the rest with love quotes and reasons why they love eachother as a reminder to eachother of their love. It could be used for the whole family too.
Top 5 gift ideas for her
Here is a list of gift ideas for your wife, girlfriend, sister, lover, partner or friend. We are sure you will find something sweet enough for your mother and romantic enough for your partner…
- Body jewellery. This will show her that you’ve thought alot about what to get her as it’s not the usual necklace or bracelet that you might normally get her. There are many kinds of body jewellery: Body chains are like necklaces but fall between the cleavage or down the back. Belly chains go around the tummy like a belt, past the belly button. Body chockers, these start like necklaces, but end up around the shoulder areas, or down to the chest. Shoulder jewellery are chains which drape over the shoulder. Arm chains are a new version of the arm bangles. Fragile chains which have charms or beads which make her look like a goddess. If you want to buy her earrings but are unsure if she has her ears pierced, you could choose an ear cuff that is placed around the edge of the ear. There are even leg chains available for when she wears shorts or a skirt with a slit showing her thigh. Another idea is to buy this jewellery for a teenage daughter who insists on getting her body pierced. Meet her half way and give her a belly chain or a body chain, we are sure she would accept this and move on and possibly start a new jewellery collection of body jewellery. Foot chains or crocheted barefoot sandals/slippers are an ideal gift for a woman who in her own personal space at home or on the beach wants to look her best and have her feet look as pampered as the rest of her body. From the top of her head down to her feet. You could add a note with the gift saying “I love every inch of your body…from the top of your head down to your toes…wear this and with every step you take, think of me stepping with you. I will follow your every step. With every step you take, every move you make, I’ll get a little bit closer to your heart.”
- Love aromatherapy slime. When you give this gift, she won’t know what to do with it, you will have to show her!!! Have fun together with this sensual, slimey slime. But this is no ordinary slime, it has essential oils added to it which are heavenly. Have fun and feel relaxed with your senses.
- Lovers lock print. The story behind this photograph will melt her heart. It is said that when you go to the brdige of lovers in Paris and attach a lover’s lock, that your heart are locked together, forever. This is also done at other bridges around the world and has become so popular that many lovers around the world are collecting these locks. They promise to eachother that one day they will go to the bridges and lock them on and make a wish to stay together, always. It is a loving reminder of how you feel for eachother. Hung on the wall of your love nest would mean the world to any woman, with it’s rich colours this would go with most interiors.
- Vibrating alarm clock. It’s smooth curves represents those of your woman. The added vibrations help her wake up calmly without that annoying blasting buzzing sound of an ordinary alarm. We are sure she’d appreciate the thought that goes into this gift!!!
- Glowing heart jewellery. When the lights go out she will be surprised with this jewellery. Elegant during the day time, daring at night. There are a range of colours and styles to choose from, but our favourite must be the heart bracelet. She can carry your heart with her wherever she goes.
Body Jewellery selection…
Top 5 gifts for children
- Simpsons lego family set. This fun for all the family toy is ideal for both men, women, girl and boy. All ages will have some fun with this creating stories with the funny characters. Alot of accessories are included in this set and will keep the kids busy during the special day celebrations.
- Valentine slime. Every child will love this tub of slime. They can make their own DIY slime, or purchase some. They can order customised labels and give them out at school to their friends and teachers for Valentine’s Day.
- Family love hunt. Mummy and Daddy write love notes on sticky hearts and hide them all over the house (or garden) for the children to find. Each child tries to find one colour. For example, Olivia finds only the pink hearts, but William finds the blue hearts. Each heart says something about why Mummy and Daddy love them so much. A quality of the child on each heart. The children collect them and when gathered together, they feel the love when reading the notes aloud then they each get one Valentine’s gift each. The gift could be a Valentine cookie or a big bag of heart chocolates for a treat. Mummy and Daddy can join in with the celebration too and write about eachother, (keep it exciting though, but be careful not to let the kids find any naughty notes lying around) have fun!!!
- Rose sugar scrub. This is a great DIY gift to make with or without the kids. It’s made from any Valentine flower petals (preferrably rose petals) recieved and crushed or blended with olive oil and sugar. If you want you could add fresh mint leaves to give it a freshness. Have fun experimenting with different edible ingredients found in the kitchen.
- Plantable hearts. Another DIY project with the children or you could purchase them…they are little hearts made from handmade paper with hidden, trapped seeds inside. When planted into earth/soil they grow into flowers or plants. This is a great thing to do with the children to help learn about science and the world in one activity. It also reflects the love growing when cared and looked after. The same quality found when families care and look after eachother. The handmade paper is made by blending good quality ripped up papers with water and seeds. This is then sieved out onto mesh, patted and compressed down with a sponge to wick away access water. Then left to dry with seeds. This can then be cut into hearts or any shape you would like.
Other ways of involving all the family…
- Random acts of kindness-spreading the love. Place these little tokens of your love in places where people will find them and share the love..might be a neighbour, a person in a shop, your local green grocer, your librarian, your teacher, your milk man, newspaper boy…the list is endless. Make it random or make it a planned desicion. Just make sure the person doesn’t see you doing it, or it won’t work. When the person recieves the token of love, they too will think of such an action and maybe they will spread the love in the same way one day…spread the love
- Edible chocolate dough. Children can have fun playing with this edible chocolate dough to make little chocolates for Mummy and Daddy. The recipe is so easy: made from mixing chocolate sandwich spread with powdered icing sugar and a little of their favourite cocoa powder. They can create a box of yummy chocolates then enjoy eating and sharing with the family.
- Valentine art. Use things found around the home to make prints on paper or card with red and pink paints. Use finger, hand or foot prints of the children then have the painting framed with signatures of each member of the family. This will be a very adorable keepsake for the whole family.
- Have a ‘I LOVE YOU TO THE MOON AND BACK’ party. This story is the sweetest book about two rabbit’s love for eachother. An interesting theme for a V-Day party for the kids. Use anything to do with moons, stars, hearts and rabbits.
- Gifts for the children are endless: a mini verson of the book, a rabbit stuffed toy, a necklace of a moon and rabbit, a personalised mug or cup or even a breakfast set.
- For food: Little moon and star cereal for breakfast that morning, a pancake with banana slices/sitcky popcorn balls with caramel sauce (a sticky moon) can be given for a treat. Marshmellows at the party for the moon theme is a good idea. Pizza can be made which also represents the moon. Carrots for a healthy snack. Shredded cucumbers with lemon juice as the grass.
- Games: Play games like ‘pin the tail on the rabbit’ blindfolded, catch the bunny (run and catch the child with bunny headband on), find the carrots (hide paper carrots all over the house) then get the kids to count them and put them in order of 1-10 or big to small in size etc which is ideal to involve a little math in the day. Have the children paint hearts on stones using normal paints, if not then use shiny nail polish to create shiny pebbles. Paint hearts or stars. Rabbit ear headbands can be given to the children to play around with and pretend they are hopping jumping rabbits. Ask them to see how many minutes they can stand on one foot, how many times they can hop on one leg, tie their left and right leg together and see how far they can walk without falling over (three legged race).
- For prizes: they get a gift bag full of popcorn and marshmellow moons. Perhaps a lollipop too. Here are some pictures for more ideas…
Romantic Things To Do…
Can’t think of what to do with your partner on Valentine’s Day? Need ideas fast, well here is our list of top ten romantic things to do
1.Write love letters, messages or notes including words like…
Our love is like a lovely bridge
Between your heart and mine
A bridge we’ve built down through the years
Just to our own design
If kisses were raindrops, I’d send you showers.
If hugs were a second, I’d send you hours.
If smiles were water, I’d send you the sea.
If love was a person, I’d send you me.
Roses are Red,
Violets are Blue
It’s Valentines Day
and I love you
Today I’m asking
if you’ll be mine
Please say yes (Harry)…
be my Valentine
Since we met I’ve become besotted
My love for you is true.
If you give me half a chance
I’ll give my all to you.
For your child:
With all the sunshine things you do,
The smiles you share -the laughter, too -
With all the dreams you make come true…
It’s great to have a kid like you!
Happy Valentine’s Day XxX
2. Make him/her breakfast in bed. There is nothing like being pampered and spoiled by your partner. Make him/her a coffee but add a sticky note to their mug writing why you love them so.
3. Massage using essential oils. Again, knowone rejects this idea! If you don’t like getting your hands oily, try using pure cocoa butter, it’s more of a natural massage bar than the rest.
4.They all say that ‘the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach’ and it’s so true. But for women just as much. We don’t want to admit it, but we all like getting our taste buds active. Try giving a taste test using a blindfold. Feed eachother strawberries dipped in different sauces and each have to guess the flavour. The one that guesses the most, wins and gets a special Valentine gift.
5. Make a special Valentine’s day picnic together. The making of it is just as nice as the eating of it. Helping eachother get a picnic basket ready is really sweet and loving. Passing the ingredients over to make sandwiches or cutting up exotic fruit like mango or pineapple can really help set the scene for the rest of the day’s surprises. Be it outside but as it’s winter cold, a cosy indoors picnic by the warm fire would be very romantic. Toasting marshmellows on the fire, drinking hot cocoa and cracking some nuts to bring out the man in him and the woman in her. Make sure you pack soft blankets, music and wine glasses, be it for wine or fizzy grape juice. The ambience must be set to bring the magic of Valentine’s Day together. Scented candles are also part of it.
6. A weekend trip far far away. Could be far away or it might just be down the road, depending on your budgets…you might stay at a luxury hotel for the weekend or just a bed and breakfast place. It doesn’t matter where it is, as long as it’s safe, warm and comfortable for him, especially for her!!!
7. Don’t forget the little touches of romance…I’m talking rose petals on the floor leading upto your partner’s gifts…soft music in the background…candles burning…fruits dipped in chocolate….candle lit dinner for two…the right glasses…don’t forget the corkscrew and the matches or lighter it really can spoil a well planned day and ruin all efforts. Oh and the most important thing to remember is switch that phone off or silent it, there is nothing worse than an annoying ring tone in the middle of your date. It’s all about respect.
8. Don’t do things from the films if they aren’t into that type of lovey dovey stuff. It will really hurt and upset them. They might start to re-think the relationship and see it’s flaws, no matter how small, so keep it familiar to them and simple. Some couples just don’t do the whole romance thing and they could feel quite uncomfortable with any suggestions of the candles and music etc. Some might laugh at it all and think it’s a joke. If the person you are with starts laughing, thinking it’s all just one big joke. Then laugh back:) What else can you do? If it’s not what they want, then so be it. You can’t change people, all you can do is inspire them and show them maybe another side to your personality. If they haven’t expected the suprises given, don’t panic. Just go with how they are going. After all the day is for eachother, not for yourself. Stay positive, stay in love. That’s the point of it all.
9. If you are a man reading this then you could do her hair, start with a head massage, and play with her hair. Twist it, pin it up. Have fun, it will really suprise her!!!! But DON’T try this if she seems uncomfortable and has just had her hair all done nicely! Thats a big NO NO…If you are a woman reading this, then maybe try giving him a foot spa treatment first, then a foot massage with minty creams. He’d really like this gesture, as often he forgets to pamper his feet. Then you could switch places. You do his hair, then he does your feet:) Don’t forget it’s all about the give and the take.
10. Our last idea of this article so it must be a huge big deal right?????!!!!WRONG….Just be yourselves. Don’t change on this day just because everyone says so, do what comes naturally and only do what is comfortable. Respect her, respect him and you’ll be fine. Your day will go to plan, if not, so what. You have another 364days to love her/him. So get on with it and L.O.V.E…
p.s Happy Valentine’s Day